Northern Rivers Business Magazine
Local Businesses to be Congratulated Congratulations to all those businesses who have recently received recognition at local Chamber of Commerce awards nights. It certainly is hard work running a business, particularly in this current economic climate. There have been a number of businesses within the electorate which should be congratulated for further achievements –
- Clunes General Store – Business of the Year at the North Coast Region Local Business Awards
- IGA Goonellabah – named in the top 50 independent retailers in Australia in the Parmalat Community Store of the Year
- Hillcrest Mountain View Retreat – finalist in the NSW Tourism Awards
- Lismore Visitors Centre - finalist in the NSW Tourism Awards
- SCU’s School of Tourism & Hospitality Management – finalist in the NSW Tourism Awards
- David’s Health & Lifestyle Studio – NSW Personal Training Business of the Year
- Tweed River Regional Museum – IMAGinE Awards Excellence in Education & Public Engagement
Financial Help for Apprentices The Ben Chifley Scholarship is a new $150,000 Government program will support apprentices in country NSW who are struggling to make ends meet. In the first year 30 apprentices across first, second and third year will be awarded scholarships. After that 10 new scholarships of $15,000 will be offered annually, receiving $5,000 each year for the first three years of their apprenticeship. Winners can use the money to help buy tools, uniforms, petrol or support their family; it’s up to them. These will be awarded on the basis of hardship and aptitude, being jointly nominated by their employer and trade teacher.
2009 Lismore Electorate Woman of the Year Nominations for the 2009 Lismore Electorate Woman of the Year awards will soon be open. The awards recognise the achievements and leadership of women in business and their local community. There are many in women in our local community whose contributions, successes and achievements encourage and inspire those around them. Honouring women for their contribution to our communities is an important means of building the confidence and pride of all women, and encourages other women and girls by publicly presenting role models. Nominations forms can be obtained by contacting my office.