TIME FOR ASPIRING TEACHERS ON THE NORTH COAST TO SEEK INCENTIVES
Member for Lismore Thomas George today reminded anyone with a passion for learning that time is running out for the 2016 teacher education scholarships and other incentives.
Mr George said applications are available for more than 400 teacher education scholarships, cadetships, internships and incentive scholarships.
“These incentives benefit aspiring teachers and enable public schools to secure the best teachers to inspire future generations,” Mr George said.
“All scholars, cadets and interns are guaranteed a permanent teaching position in a NSW public school when they successfully complete their studies.”
Mr George said current scholarship holders from regional schools are benefiting from scholarships.
Kimberley Armstrong is studying maths teaching at the University of Newcastle. She values the security of the financial benefit and job offer on graduation.
“I had some really great maths teachers at Richmond River High and they inspired me to take on maths teaching,” Ms Armstrong said.
Scholarships available until 18 September include:
- 300 Teacher Education Scholarships available to HSC students, university students and career-change applicants training in areas of need;
- teach.Rural scholarships for HSC students willing to teach in rural and remote schools;
- 25 cadetships for HSC students enrolling in teacher education studies who will work part-time in a NSW public school while studying;
- 25 internships for teacher education students entering their final year of study; and
- 40 Incentive Scholarships for final year students offering $2500 in the last semester of study and $1000 appointment allowance.
The NSW Liberals & Nationals Government reforms including Great Teaching, Inspired Learning and the Rural and Remote Education Blueprint continue to support teaching quality, ensuring the brightest are recruited to the teaching profession. Since 2011, more than 1466 scholarships have been awarded to outstanding candidates.
Full scholarship details are available at teach.nsw.edu.au.