Northern Rivers Echo
The NSW Government will undertake one more round of public consultation before its improved and simpler land management reforms take effect. The new system would provide strong environmental safeguards, while ensuring routine farm work was exempt from regulation. These landmark reforms will allow our farmers to produce the food and fibre that we need and increase their productivity, while also producing better outcomes for our environment. I am proud we will very soon deliver on an election commitment we made to farmers to repeal the unfair and ineffective Native Vegetation Act.
The regulations, codes and guidelines and other documents released for public comment are:
- a draft principal Biodiversity Conservation Regulation and its supporting regulatory impact statement
- a draft Local Land Services Amendment Regulation
- a draft Environmental Planning and Assessment Amendment (Biodiversity Conservation) Regulation
- an Explanation of Intended Effects for a State Environmental Planning Policy (Vegetation)
- a draft Land Management (Native Vegetation) Code
- a draft Biodiversity Assessment Method
- a draft Accreditation Scheme for the Application of the Biodiversity Assessment Method
- an example of a Sensitive Biodiversity Values Land Map
- draft guidance for considering serious and irreversible impacts
- a draft offsets payment calculator and user manual.
Consultation closes on 21 June and the reforms will commence on 25 August 2017. For more information, visit www.landmanagement.nsw.gov.au.
A new Tabulam Bridge across the Clarence River is another step closer, with professional service contracts now open for a site engineer and contract manager. Work on the $48 million bridge is expected to start in June this year to replace the existing timber structure. Delaney Civil Pty Ltd has been awarded the contract to build the new bridge, with work expected to take about two years to complete. Tenders for both professional service contracts must be submitted by Wednesday 31 May via the Tender Box at the Regional Office of Roads and Maritime Services - Ground Floor, 76 Victoria Street, Grafton NSW 2460.