Express Examiner 26 January 2005


The Nationals, through our Shadow Minister Duncan Gay, has called on Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald to immediately reverse NSW Fisheries' ban on recreational fishing clubs auctioning their catch to help local charities. These auctions raise thousands of dollars for local charities including helicopter and local schools. It is ridiculous that NSW Fisheries has banned the auctions on the basis that they threaten fish stocks.


From 1 July 2005 all cattle, irrespective of age, will have to be identified with an NLIS device before they leave any property. From 1 July 2005 saleyards will be required to notify the NLIS database of all cattle being sold. And abattoirs will be required to notify the database of all cattle slaughtered.

Youth Friendship Games

Sydney will this year hold the Youth Friendship Games from 12 to 17 July. Sports to be represented include; Baseball, Soccer, Swimming, Ten Pin Bowling, Wrestling, Volleyball and Tennis. Nominations are now being called for individuals to register their interest in being considered to represent a NSW Aboriginal Team at the games. Nomination forms can be downloaded from or by contacting my office.

Churchill Trust

The Churchill Trust is now calling for applications for the 2005 round. Each year the Churchill Trust awards about 100 Fellowships at an average cost of about $20,000 each. Closing date for applications with references is Monday, February 28, 2005. Full details of the fellowships and forms can be obtained from the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust by contacting their National Office on Freecall 1800 777 231 or at

Land Tax 2005

On 6 April 2004, the State Government announced significant changes to land tax in 2005, which included the removal of the land tax threshold, the introduction of a progressive tax scale, and the abolition of Premium Property Tax. Land tax is a tax levied on the owners of land in NSW as at midnight on 31 December of each year. You may be liable for land tax if you own or part own;
vacant land, including vacant rural land,
a holiday home
investment properties
company title units, or
residential, commercial or industrial units.

In general your principal place of residence (your home) or land used for primary production (a farm) is exempt. For a land tax factsheet, informational booklet or other details, please contact my office or online at

Contact Details:

Office: 55 Carrington Street  LISMORE
Postal: PO Box 52  LISMORE  NSW  2480
Telephone: 1800 336 166 or 02 6621 3624
Facsimile: 02 6622 1403  Email:

Authorised by Thomas George MP. Funded using Parliamentary entitlements.